Sunday, October 12, 2008

I might have to rethink a marathon this year!

After a few weeks of injury it has come to be that I might have to rethink running a marathon this year.

I have done exactly what Dr. Bert told me to do and thought I really was on the mend. Then I went out to run today. 3 miles into the run I was stopped by the pain. He said it would hurt but if the pain was too bad to stop as to not further damage it. So that is what I did. We were at Salem Lake and I had planned on running one loop which is 7 miles and then seeing if I could make a second one. Yes I know that was pushing it but that was my plan. My foot had another plan.

Marisa and I have talked and I am going to stay off the foot as much as possible this week, except riding the bike and water jogging then see on Saturday the results. We will make a decision at that point. Is it the end of the world? No to those of you reading but to me yes it is. You might not think to look at me run that I have put my heart and soul into this, but I have. So the pity party started on the 4 mile walk back to the car. There is always next year........

For anyone who ever thought about joining a running group, I cannot tell you enough to go for it. You will get the training you need but more than that you gain a family. Team Evolve your the best! Thanks for all the support and encouragement that you give to everyone. It is an honor to be a part of such a wonderful team!

3 comments:

Kay said...

OK I know how though it is....just please dont push the ankle. You are in great shape so that's not a problem at all. Please listen to the foot BC I really need a running buddy next year when I gear back up. This summer / fall has not been the journey I was looking for but with the great group I joined it has been so much easier. You guys were a blessing when I needed one! Chin up my dear Amy B ...I'll let you slum with me at the back of the bus.

Tam said...

You should do what is going to be best for you in the long run...if that means delaying your marathon then that's what you should do. Just know that I'll be there when you do run it to cheer you on!

Dena said...

I won't even try to sugarcoat it Amy--it sucks, sucks, sucks that this happened so late in your training. I'm heartsick for you about the marathon. BUT, there are marathons all year long. You're in great shape. Wait for the foot to heal, pick a new marathon, and go for it. I think it's better to run your first marathon healthy, so it's more of a positive experience, versus you got through it but it was pure pain. Hopefully that foot will heal faster with the break you're giving it. Sorry for all the pain. =(