Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Positive Media Please

18 days and 14 hours as of right now until I run my first marathon and likely my last. This morning over my first cup of coffee what does my husbad tell me to read, an article about runners dying in half marathons. I reminded him of my life insurance policy.

You hear of it, you read about and while running the Virginia Beach Rock-N-Roll Half, they had a man die close to the finish line. I remember rounding the turn to the ambulance coming down the street and lifting up a prayer for that runner hoping they were o.k. Instead of the media focusing on how running causes death,could you focus on the benefit. In my mind I have an image of the person writing this article, he is a fat man, drinking a strong one, smoking while tying on an old typewriter,all the while thinking "stupid people".


As much as I complain about my weight, I have to remind myself that since I started running I have lost 40 pounds. I feel the best I have ever felt in my life. I no longer take depression medication nor is my anxiety as bad as it was. I sleep great most nights (when John isn't snoring). I think the benefit for me an most of us outweighs the negative. Could they please write that story!

Those are the ones I would like to read in the paper. For that, I have to go on-line. If you don't follow Runner Dude's Blog, you definately should. He spotligts runners all time! Thanks Thad aka Runner Dude for the outlet for normal runners to share the benefits they have gained from running. The news media should take a lesson or two from you!
http://ncrunnerdude.blogspot.com/ Link to the best running blog there is......

No comments: